Iowa Department of Public Safety State Fire Marshal Division
Search WWW Search DPS Website

Consumer Fireworks Annual Retail Seller Licensing and Wholesaler Registration

The State of Iowa does not regulate display fireworks. Please check with the local jurisdiction(s) regarding any permit requirements or to determine if the use of display fireworks is restricted or prohibited.

apply online

All applicants are required to submit new exterior and interior site plans.
Applications with site plans not consistent with the samples below will not be accepted.

A blank graph sheet is provided below for your convenience.

Q. Is my site a permanent or temporary structure?
PERMANENT: As applied to buildings or structures: a building or structure affixed to a foundation on a site.

TEMPORARY: As applied to buildings or structures: a building or structure not meeting the definition for permanent structure.

Q. What is a STORE?
A building classified as a mercantile occupancy that contains a variety of merchandise and that is not used primarily for the retail sales of consumer fireworks. The maximum consumer fireworks retail floor area shall be less than 25% of the retail floor area OR 600 square feet, whichever is less. Aerial and audible ground device sales have specific restrictions per NFPA 1124 section

Q. What is a FACILITY?
A building that does not meet the definition of a "store" shall be considered a facility.

Q. What is a STAND?
A small, often open-air structure for a small retail business. May also include a portable building or trailer not affixed to a foundation. (A stand NOT OPEN TO PUBLIC is a small, often open-air structure for a small business where only retail personnel are inside the stand and the public do not physically enter.)

Q. What is a TENT?
A collapsible shelter of fabric (such as nylon or canvas) stretched and sustained by poles and used as a temporary building. Includes temporary retail sales of consumer fireworks in tents, canopies, and membrane structures.

Q. What is STORAGE?
A building or structure in which finished consumer fireworks are received, stored, and shipped. The storage can be either a permanent structure or a temporary "trailer, semitrailer, or metal shipping container".

Certificate of Liability Insurance
SFM Insurance Coverage Policy


For questions regarding the licensure process, online system, etc. please email


Iowa Department of Public Safety
State Fire Marshal Division
215 East 7th Street | Des Moines, Iowa 50319 | 515-725-6145

Policies | Contact Us | Site Map
Adobe Reader | Adobe Flash

Click here to sign up for email notifications