State Patrol Officer
Under general supervision,
a State Patrol Officer with the Iowa State Patrol Division assigned
to the State Capitol Complex perform police and security work, regulate
traffic and preserve the peace in and around the Capitol Complex and
the Governor's residence.
Job duties include,
but are not limited to the following:
- Patrols state
government grounds by vehicle, by bicycle, and on foot, checking buildings
and grounds for security, fire and safety hazards.
- Regulates traffic
and parking and assists motorists with vehicular problems.
- Investigates accidents,
incidents and complaints - interviews witnesses, suspects and complainants.
- Administers medical aid.
- Enforces criminal laws.
- Provides protections to Governor and first family and guests to the Governor's residence.
Applicants for the position of State Patrol Officer with the Iowa State Patrol Division must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of application.
- Possess a high school diploma or a GED
- Be in acceptable physical and mental condition to perform his or her duties under physically demanding conditions
- Have uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye, corrected to 20/20 in each eye.
- Have normal color
vision as prescribed by Iowa Law Enforcement Academy Rules: Color vision is determined by the American Optical Company, Pseudo Plates test, and requires correct identification of 10 out of 14 test plates.
normal hearing in each ear. Hearing is considered normal when
hearing sensitivity thresholds are within 25db measured at 1000Hz,
2000Hz, and 3000Hz averaged together
To view more details
about the minimum
hiring qualifications for peace officers in the Department of Public
Safety, please click here.
Effective January 1, 2012 - Peace Officer Pay Plan
- $1,453.60 to $2,182.40 (bi-weekly)
- $37,793.60 to $56,742.40 (annually)
While attending the Department's Training Academy, candidates are paid $1,311.20 ($16.39 per hour bi-weekly).
- Ten days paid vacation during first year
- 11 paid holidays per year
- 1 sick day leave accrual per month
- $10,000 paid life insurance
- medical and dental insurance
- $290 per year uniform allowance
- and other benefits
YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION REGARDING THE APPLICATION - SELECTION PROCESS
AND THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY ACADEMY, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING